Saturday, April 3, 2010

Who owns the beach?



I deciced that since the weather on Good Friday was so nice that I would walk down and check out the beach. The landlord had said I could walk over one road go down to the end and access the beach. So off I went exploring. I met a couple of the neighbors on the way and stopped to talk and introduce myself. Down by the beach a father was out playing lacrosse in his yard with his daughters. I said a hearty hello and asked where the entrance to the beach was. He pointed to a path and said that way. I asked if that was his land or the public path. He said it didn't matter to him; it was God's beach anyway. So off I went down the path. It was a bit mushy underfoot and Ms. wobblyfeet here was a bit apprehensive but I travialed on. I could picture myself stuck out in the marsh grass. It had a bit a give underneath and I wasn't sure how far down that give was going to take me. Out across the marsh grass and the rocks and finally down onto the beach itself. Victory! The storm appeared to have wrecked a bit of havoc here on the beach, the grasses were all crunched up against the rocks and the stone and shells were scattered everywhere in the grass. All to be expected in light of the wind and rains storms we have had this past month. I took a lot of photos. Views that may look odd to people viewing them, but photos that would make great backdrops to powerpoint presentations. Rocks, the footprints on the sand, the water, the grasses -- a close ups. Well I guess I wandered a bit further along the shore than I realized and decided to just walk up from the beach to my street. Woops! I guess that was private property. And the owner was not a proponent of the "It's God's beach" He was suspicious as to what I was talking photos of and why; pointed out that the access path was back that way and not across his nicely built crush rock path. Sorry I said, just moved in a trying to get my bearings. He was polite and nice about it, but definitely very firm and territorial. I guess I will have to pay the $10 bucks to go to the town beach this summer. The view remains beautiful from my porch and from my deck and Ms. Wobblyfeet won't have to worry about toppling over in the marsh grass. Another glorious day today, I may have to to walking on the beach again, but it will be the public beach for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment